Ten Success-Boosting Innovative Tips for your Business (The Small Business Site)
1. GET YOUR TEAM ON BOARD. Have the team involved in the entire innovation process, such as solving problems during a meeting and providing a suggestion box. Reward innovation and celebrate success. Appropriate incentives can play a significant role in encouraging staff to think creatively.
2. MAKE INNOVATION A ROUTINE. Schedule an hour or so each week to brainstorm and exercise you and your teams creativity and establish goals that encourage you to improve your business.
3. ENCOURAGE SUGGESTIONS. Ask or survey your employees, and even, suppliers if they have any suggestions on how you can improve your business.
4. CREATE A SUPPORTIVE ATMOSPHERE in which people feel free to express their ideas without the risk of criticism.
5. ENCOURAGE RISK-TAKING AND EXPERIMENTATION—don’t penalise people who try new ideas and fail. Remember, fear destroys innovation.
6. STRESS THAT PEOPLE AT ALL LEVELS OF THE BUSINESS SHARE RESPONSIBILITY FOR INNOVATION, so everybody feels involved in taking the business forward. The fewer the layers of decision-making in your business, the more people feel that their ideas matter.
7. LOOK FOR IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY WHEN RECRUITING NEW EMPLOYEES. Remember that innovative thinkers are not always those with the most impressive list of qualifications.
8. YOU DON’T HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL. Keep innovation simple by improving your existing products or services, trying out a new marketing strategy, or finding a supplier that offers you a better rate.
9. INVEST IN INNOVATION. Purchase technology and equipment that can improve your business operations. Invest in developing new products and services.
10. EDUCATE YOURSELF. Continue to learn new skills or information by attending workshops, webinars, conferences, local industry events and reading everything from blog posts to books.
“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in square holes. The ones who see things differently. They are not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify of vilify them. About the only thing you cant do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do”---Steve Jobs