HOW TO REGISTER FOR E-FILING
- Do you have a tax number for you as an individual? This number may have been created for you by a previous employer or you can find it on your IRP 5. If you don’t have either of these documents and are unsure of your tax number then you can send a query to SARS by going to it’s website. Here you can fill in your details and under ”query type” select “what is my tax number”?. They should send you an email with your tax number.
- Go to the SARS e-filing website and click on “register now” and follow the prompts to register as an individual on the e-filing site.
- If you are a sole proprietor you will not need to do anything more as you will register your company’s income as part of personal income but if your business is a private or public company you will need to register it on SARS. Make sure you have the following details available before you start the next step:
* The company name
* Address and contact number for the company
* SARS tax number for the company
* The company registration number which you receive from the CIPC
* The company’s banking details
* The year end of the company
Now that we have these details we can move to step 4:
- Log into SARS e-filing with your username and password
- When you are on the landing page click on the 3 dots next to the word “individual” at top of the screen and then click on “portfolio management”.
- Next click on “add portfolio” in the top right-hand corner. This should open a pop-up which says “add portfolio” at the top. Fill in the details and in the drop-down menu select “organization” and then click on “add portfolio”. You should now have 2 portfolios on the portfolio management screen. One should say “individual” and the other one “organization”.
- Now click on “go to portfolio” next to the word “organization” where you see the 2 portfolios listed.
- At the top of the screen click on “organization” and then click on “register new”. This will open up a form for you to complete about your business. You will then need to look on the left and click on “organization tax types” and select the taxes which your organization needs to pay.
- Finally, scroll to the bottom of your screen and submit the document to SARS for review. It should take 48 hours for them to activate the account. If this doesn’t happen then check that there is not any outstanding documentation which SARS has requested.
Remember, if anything is unclear with your taxes you should contact SARS directly or your tax consultant.
Proudly brought to you by the NSBC (National Small Business Chamber)