Cabinet approves bill to be sent to Parliament - August 2020
At a briefing to the media held on 6 August 2020, the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Ronald Lamola, said that Cabinet has approved a number of new bills for submission to Parliament,
Among them are:
- Three gender-based violence bills including:
- The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences and Related Matters) Amendment Bill; https://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/invitations/20200302-SXOAAAmendmentBill.pdf
- The National Register for Sexual Offences https://www.gov.za/services/national-register-sex-offenders-nrso?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuX5zsu96wIViLbtCh3irgIaEAAYASAAEgItaPD_BwE
- The Domestic Violence Amendment Bill https://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/invitations/20200302-DomesticViolenceAmendmentBill.pdf
- The Fund Raising Amendment Bill of 2017 pdf
which aims to rationalize under one National Social Development and Relief Fund, three existing funds, – the Disaster Relief Fund, the South African Defence Force Fund and the Refugee Relief Fund.
- The Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill. https://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/bills/2020-CannabisBill.pdf
Minister Lamola said the bill would give effect to a Constitutional Court judgment that declared unconstitutional some parts of the Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act of 1992. In 2018, the Constitutional Court ruled that the use of cannabis is legal for both personal and medical use. "The judgment was suspended for 24 months to allow Parliament to correct those sections," said Minister Lamola.
"This Bill regulates the use and possession of cannabis and the cultivation of cannabis plants by an adult for personal use. It provides the limit of the quantity of cannabis that may be possessed by an adult and criminalizes the smoking of cannabis in public places."
The bill stands to undergo Parliamentary consideration and public consultation.